Described as a gateway location to downtown San Luis Obispo, this long debated site was previously occupied by a gas station. The owner sought Studio Design Group's expertise in reclaiming this location as an ambitious urban revitalization project to develop near the core of the downtown center.
The proposed four-story luxury hotel included restaurants, conference space, a day spa, 129 guest rooms, a fitness facility, and a rooftop pool deck with spectacular views of the city. The rich details of the design were inspired by a local landmark, the Andrews Building located a block away, and by urban San Francisco hotels of the 1920's. The exterior was finished in redbrick with stone sills and decorative lintels. Wrought iron curved balconies would afford views of the town and connect the interior with the exterior spaces. Copper domes and glass skylight canopies completed the feeling of decadence.