August 31, 2016

Clean Design

Studio Design Group is excited to be part of a new green endeavor to benefit our Central Coast community by reducing landfill waste and providing renewable energy.

We are serving as Architect of an anaerobic digestion plant. The plant will process food and green waste into fertilizer and then use the methane emitted from the compost to produce energy and operate Waste Connections trash trucks. The project team, led by Oasis Associates, will be remodeling a 13,128-square-foot warehouse and 36,000-square-foot addition at 4388 Old Santa Fe Road near the San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport.

How will it work? 51,000 San Luis Obispo County residents are now receiving free food-scrap pails. All green waste in the pail can then be discarded into green bins for weekly curbside pickup, which will be recycled at the anaerobic digestion facility. About 20 percent of the electricity generated from the process will be used to operate the facility and the other 80 percent will be sold to PG&E to power about 600 to 650 home per year. The process uses very little water because the water necessary to the anaerobic digestion process is recycled from the green waste fed into the process.

This project speaks to our core values and we’re thrilled to be part of the team. Learn more here and here.

← Back