Cayucos Veteran’s Memorial Hall Rehabilitation
The Cayucos Veteran’s Memorial Hall was originally constructed in 1872 as the historic Cass Warehouse at Cayucos Landing. It is currently owned by California State Parks, maintained by the County of San Luis Obispo, and managed as a community center by the Cayucos Lions Club. The hall serves as the small beachside community’s main event venue, regularly hosting public and private events.
The original building was feeling its age after nearly 150 years of oceanfront service and a variety of modifications. In addition to structural issues, wave run-up analysis and sea-level rise projections found the building to be out of compliance with California Coastal Commission requirements.
Rehabilitation of this historic structure will include a new foundation that raises the building 2.5 feet, as well as thoughtful reconstruction that honors and restores many historic character elements. Photos of the original warehouse and some of its subsequent additions provided clues and guidance as Studio Design Group worked to meet state historical guidelines.
Historical rehabilitation will include exterior redwood siding, shake roofing, and signage held between wine barrels on the roof’s ridge top, a feature consistent with historical photographs.
The project connects an existing parking lot to the popular Cayucos pier with a 6,900 square foot ocean-facing deck addition. An outdoor patio and BBQ structure will also be reconstructed.
Studio Design Group worked closely with the County of San Luis Obispo to support their efforts to obtain a $4.4 million grant from the California Natural Resources Agency to help fund this project. Construction has begun on this project with an estimated completion date of February 2024.
- Estimated completion: February 2024
- Rehabilitation of Existing Historic Structure
- Community Center with Outside Facilities
- Compliant with State historical and Coastal Commission Requirements
- 1 story
- 6,580 sq. ft
- 6,900 sq. ft deck addition